Best laid plans


There are many reasons for lapses in posting entries to this blog, and procrastination isn’t one of them. Complete retirement is.

In 2019, we sold our home of 47 years in North Toronto and moved to an apartment in a lovely Retirement Apartment complex Christie Gardens in the Annex area of midtown Toronto. Moving away from North Toronto meant that I would lose my connection to the North Toronto Group of Artists (NTGA). As well, and perhaps more to the point, I lost my two home-based studios.

I donated all of my acrylic materials to ArtHeart, a project operated by NTGA members for the benefit of low income and refugee people in the Regent Park area. I kept my watercolour and sketching materials and equipment, since I learned that my new home featured an art room.

Unfortunately, a crisis hit us soon after we settled in, when my wife, Annie, had a disastrous fall and fractured her hip. Needless to say, my focus now became helping in her recovery to the exclusion of much in the way of art. Then came Covid-19 and a lockdown.

Recently, as conditions have improved, I have turned my thoughts back to creating art, mainly in the way of sketching. Over the coming months, I hope to get back into the swing of things, both in sketching and blogging. Here is a recent digital sketch which has certain vibrations to our present situation and offers hope that we will soon be able to walk out, arm-in-arm together.

Comments